In this useful guide discover how Adjustable Beds work and all the benefits a Willowbrook adjustable bed can bring you.
How adjustable beds work
If you’re finding it difficult to get in and out of bed, or often experience an uncomfortable night’s sleep, then an adjustable bed could be exactly what you need.
Willowbrook Electric Adjustable beds are designed to help you find that ideal position for a perfect night’s sleep. This means you’ll not only experience incredible support and comfort all night long, you’ll wake up feeling completely refreshed too.
Why move your body to suit your bed,
when you can move your bed to suit your body?
Years of research have shown us that achieving the correct support and sleeping position are essential for a good nights rest. It can also help to provide temporary positional relief of aches, pains and joint problems.
Willowbrook Mobility Direct have developed a range of Adjustable Beds that help to distribute your weight evenly and find that ideal position for a perfect night’s sleep.
Our Adjustable Beds allow you to raise and lower each section using near silent electric motors, controlled with an easy to use handset.
Some Adjustable Bed bases consist of only one lever action in the internal bed frame. In order to give you the most flexibility, our adjustable beds consist of a 5-lever action to help find that comfortable position. Each action is constructed by using 37 individual rubber mounted slats.
With each section moving separately, it provides support to the mattress and more importantly, you! This gives you a number of options for finding the most comfortable position for getting a great nights sleep.
Adjustable Bed mattresses
With a Willowbrook adjustable bed, in addition to its flexible five part base you can also benefit from luxurious support with our specially made Sensapaedic® or Pocket Comfort Mattresses:
The Sensapaedic® mattress
- Sink into the soft supple padding of the Sensapaedic Mattress and feel immediately at ease
- The Sensapaedic® mattress shapes itself to your body, supporting the hollow in the small of your back, whilst cradling the hips and shoulders to reduce pressure points.
- Especially designed for use with our beds, this 8” thick Advanced Polymer Technology (APT) mattress follows the contours of the bed base like no other mattress.
- Responding independently to your weight and body movement, the mattress material provides excellent support whilst being supremely comfortable.
The Pocket mattress
- Pocketed sprung mattresses are universally recognised as providing excellent levels of comfort and support.
- At 7” thick, a honeycomb arrangement of cloth-pocketed springs prevent any ‘bottoming out’ (a problem for other bed makers).
- The parallel spring formation in the head and foot sections provides additional and gentle support to those areas.
- The springs are covered with layers of soft, non-allergenic polyester fibre and then covered with hard-wearing damask ticking.
How could an Adjustable Bed benefit me?
Adjustable beds offer a number of advantages compared to a normal bed, which make them an increasingly popular choice. An adjustable bed would be perfect for you if you would like to:
- Relax in bed more comfortably
- Improve your sleep
- Get in and out of bed safely and independently
- Enjoy therapeutic benefits of massage
- Wake up feeling refreshed
Adjustable beds can also be helpful to people with a variety of different medical conditions including arthritis, back ache, sciatica, circulatory problems and breathing difficulties (among may others).
Adjustable Bed Sleeping Positions
Your body and spine are curved not flat. If you sleep on a flat mattress, gaps are created between your body and the mattress and you are left without support in those areas.
As a result, your own muscles will need to provide the support, meaning increased fatigue and aches and pains on waking – if you get to sleep at all that is!
Adjustable beds work by allowing you to achieve a sleeping position that provides correct support to your body and spine. Plus an adjustable bed helps to distribute weight evenly across your body, thereby avoiding pressure sores – especially important if, through illness, injury or disability, you spend long periods in bed.
There are 4 main sleeping positions available with Willowbrook Adjustable Beds:
Side Sleeping >>
- The side sleeping position provides great comfort for those who wish to sleep on their side.
- By adjusting the top and bottom section of your adjustable bed, the spine can maintain alignment, which alleviates pressure on areas of your body, such as your hips.
- As well as providing temporary position relief of aches and pains, the side sleeping position is helpful for those who suffer from conditions such as heartburn and gastric reflux.
Feet Raised >>
- After a long day, there is no better way to soothe your aching feet and legs than putting your feet up in bed.
- For those who are troubled by swollen legs or feet , temporary positional relief may be enjoyed by raising the foot section of the bed.
- Raising your legs independently of the rest of your body helps to move fluid away from your feet, offering some temporary relief.
Contour Position >>
- Your spine is curved, yet a traditional bed is flat.
- By adjusting the bed, the common foetal position can be assumed, by lying on your back, not your side; this means that the body is totally and evenly supported.
- Pressure points are minimised and the result is total relaxation for mind and body.
Head and Feet raised >>
This position is really useful for people with mobility issues and struggle to get in and out of bed. By using the control to put the back and feet sections up, you can easily swing your legs across so you’ll find it much easier to get in and out of bed. The head and feet raised position is also ideal for having a relaxing read of your favourite book or watching television in the comfort of your bed.